How can Africa and Europe work together to harness the enormous potential of the ocean and preserve it for future generations? What’s more, can the blue economy, which seeks to balance environmental sustainability, economic growth, and social equity, offer equal dividends in benefit and protection?
This International Youth Day, the Africa-Europe Foundation called upon young leaders from Africa and Europe to discuss the blue economy and share ideas for sustainable ocean governance via a Debate. The debate was moderated by Thomas Sberna: Regional Head for Marine & Coastal Resilience from the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN).
The speakers included:
- Manuel Ntumba: African Union (AU)'s Youth Advisor on Disaster Risk Reduction & Founder of Tod’Aérs Global Network [TGN]
- Sylwia Łyskawka: Member of the Advisory Council on Youth Affairs to the President of Poland
- Elizabeth Okullow: Harvard Innovation Labs' 2023 NextGen Accelerator Fellow & 2021 Mandela Washington Fellow
- Abimbola Abikoye: Consultant at United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC)
- Vatosoa Rakotondrazafy: African Wildlife Foundation’s "Top 100 Young African Conservation Leaders" Honoree
The Africa-Europe Foundation was established by Friends of Europe and the Mo Ibrahim Foundation, in partnership with ONE Campaign and the Africa Climate Foundation - and Funded by the European Union (EU).
View Full video: